The British award-winning artist released his latest studio album 22 in September. We uncover 22 fun facts about him as he marks 22 years in the industry.
Soulful vocalist Craig David has had a busy year with his TS5 global tour. He also released his latest album, 22, as well as his debut book, What’s Your Vibe? Tuning into your Best Life, this year. As we have started our countdown to his next stop in Cape Town in December, we share 22 facts about him.
- David was born in Holyrood, Southampton, Hampshire, 41 years ago, on May 5.
- David’s father, George David, was a carpenter and also played bass in a reggae band called Ebony Rockers.
- As a teen, Craig began accompanying his father to local dance clubs, where DJs let him take the microphone.
- Craig was bullied by other students at school. He wrote and released the song “Johnny” from the album, The Story Goes, in 2005 about his memories of the experience.
- His grandmother, who he was close to, passed away from cancer.
- At 18, Craig released his first single, Fill Me In, which made him the youngest solo male artist ever to reach Number 1 in the United Kingdom.
- In April 2009, MTV viewers voted Born to Do It as number two on their “Greatest Album of All-Time” poll, behind Michael Jackson’s Thriller.
- The singer has over 20 UK Top 40 singles, and seven UK Top 40 albums, selling over 15,000,000 records worldwide as a solo artist.
- His first celebrity crush was Jennifer Lopez.
- The star is an ardent supporter of Southampton FC, his hometown football team.
- In 2007, Craig successfully sought permission from David Bowie to sample his 1983 number-one single Let’s Dance. The single was a top-ten hit.
- In November 2008, the singer was recognised for his contribution to the music industry by receiving an honorary degree of Doctor of Music from Southampton Solent University.
- In 2013, Craig announced on Twitter that he had signed a publishing deal with Universal Music Publishing Group. His publishing company and Universal merged to become JEM Music.
- In 2017, Craig released his seventh studio album, The Time Is Now, which debuted at number two on the UK Albums Chart.
- In 2020, the singer signed a global publishing deal with New York-based Round Hill Music, in which all of David’s music catalogue to date and his new music will be administered by the company.
- In December 2020, the musician was announced on the late Queen’s New Year Honours List to receive a Most Excellent Order in recognition of his services to music.
- Craig worked with feminist and book editor Gillian Stern while he wrote my memoir. The singer said Stern challenged him and in his blind spots when it came to women.
- The singer opened up in his new book about his battle with depression, which was mainly caused by a back injury that sent him into a ‘dark place’.
- The title of his latest album is a celebration of his 22 years in the music industry, which began when he released his groundbreaking debut album ‘Born To Do It’ in August 2000.
- The singer claims to be a psychic. He said in a podcast with presenter Fearne Cotton: “I’m very clairvoyant and I can see things in the future.”
- He has over 700 000 followers on Instagram and over 395 000 followers on Twitter.
- He’ll be heading to South Africa for the second time since 2003.
Get your tickets at Ticketmaster
Sources: www.last.fm/music/Craig+David/+wiki, www.smh.com.au, wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_David