Hailed as one of Beyonce’s favourite restaurant, the iconic American restaurant brand, brings its authentic Louisiana-inspired chicken in South Africa.
There’s a new kid on the block at Sandton City’s busy food court. Popeyes restaurant is serving its mouth-watering signature bone-in fried chicken, available in spicy or mild flavours, along with boneless chicken tenders and a wide variety of delicious Signature Sides, featuring the fan favourite, Cajun fries.
“We’re very excited to join the Popeyes family and bring the iconic brand to South Africa,” said Jaye Sinclair, Chief Executive Officer for South African based, Siyaghopa Trading Group. “We think our South African guests will love the signature blend of spices and flavours we’ll bring to the table.”
The chicken-loving nation of South Africa can finally enjoy the distinctive flavours of Popeyes fried chicken and tasty Cajun fries. Here are a few facts about Popeyes to get you ready.
Where did Popeyes get its name?
- Everyone thinks Popeyes got its name from the spinach-loving cartoon character, but the name actually came from a famous fictional 1970’s detective. Detective Jimmy ‘Popeye’ Doyle, the fictional lead character of the movie, The French Connection, is the real inspiration behind the brand name.
Popeyes around the world
- Popeyes currently has restaurants in more than 25 countries.
- The Popeyes restaurant in Sandton City, Johannesburg is the only Popeyes on the continent of Africa and the first to open in South Africa.
What makes Popeyes so unique?
- Popeyes founder, Al Copeland, created a one-of-a-kind chicken recipe that is marinated in Louisiana-inspired seasonings, then hand battered, breaded and fried – creating a ‘juicy-on-the-inside, crispy-on-the outside’ chicken guests have been craving for more than 45 years.
- Popeyes has proprietary seasonings that are used to marinate the chicken for 12 hours, creating the richly seasoned flavours in both the mild and spicy versions.
- At least 60% of the employees at the Popeyes in Sandton City are first-time work-seekers from Harambee Youth Employment Accelerator who have been trained to meet Popeyes international requirements.
Spice… and all things nice
- At Popeyes, flavour is everything! The Popeyes chicken recipe is based on a 300-year old culinary tradition, which incorporates a fusion of cooking styles, a rich blend of proprietary seasoning and spices sourced from around the globe, including Africa.
- Popeyes offers both well-seasoned mild chicken, as well as a more spicy chicken option that South Africans are bound to love.
What’s in a biscuit?
- Have you heard of the famous American Biscuit, but not had the pleasure of tasting? Get your taste buds ready – this legendary American side dish is a speciality of Popeyes!
- The delicious and freshly baked Popeyes Buttermilk Biscuit join a wide selection of authentic Signature Sides available on the local menu.
For more information and to discover what’s on the menu, visit www.popeyes.co.za and follow Popeyes South Africa on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram .
Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen South Africa serves Halaal chicken and is certified by the South African National Halaal Authority (SANHA).
Source: MS Publicity
This іs a really good tip particularly to those
fresh to the blogosphere. Short Ьut very aϲcurate
info… Ƭhank үou for sharing this one. A must read post!
Thank you very much.
Whү people still uѕe to read newѕ ⲣаpers when in this technologicаl world the wholе thing is
accessible on web?
Thank you.It means a lot. I still think that print and digital go hand in hand somehow. Although I am a big fan of digital, I still love the feeling of reading print.