Globally renowned comedian and host of America’s The Daily Show, Trevor Noah is currently home, in South Africa for his tour, There’s a Gupta in my Stoep. We share top eight reasons why he is our biggest inspiration as well as his success tips to young people
At 33, Trevor Noah’s career keeps soaring to new heights. The Soweto- born comedian has come a long way since breaking into the entertainment industry at the age of 18. He has successfully made a name for himself in the comedy field and adds to global stars who put South Africa on the global map. His comic and satirical talent has earned him nods and many fans, not only in his home soil but the world over. We share eight reasons he is our favourite and inspirational slayer:
- Like many hustlers who want to build an international career he launched his comic career in the USA a few years ago and became the first South African stand-up comedian to appear on The Tonight Show in 2012.
- In 2014, the award-winning comedian became a contributor on The Daily Show and in September 2015 he succeeded Jon Stewart to become the host of the show.
- In November 2016, he released his best-selling memoir, Born a Crime (published by Spiegel & Grau) which made it onto the New York Times bestseller weeks after its release.
- Trevor Noah featured in global superstar, Jay-Z’s new documentary, The story of OJ, which released concurrently with his latest offering, 4:44. The comedian appeared with the likes of Will Smith and opened up about racism in America.
- He was named one of Time magazine’s next generation leaders when he appeared on its cover second time in five months, in March 2017.
- Amongst many accolades he has won, he was the recipient of the 2017 MTV Movie & TV Awards for best host, beating legendary Ellen DeGeneres and John Oliver.
- In his quest to uplift upcoming talented comedians, the TV host is teaming up with M-Net to present a show called Trevor Noah Presents in 2018. The show aims to showcase new, young comedians in SA.
- The mega entertainer seems to be enjoying the fruits of his hard work as he got himself a Manhattan penthouse reported to be worth R130 million. Now that’s how hustlers slay in their lane.
His advice to young people is, “Be determined. Go where the work leads you. And take the no’s as an opportunity to find the yes’s. Be excellent here in SA, don’t wait for overseas. Just work on making the best thing possible in your country and then you will find that overseas will come knocking and you may not even want it then.”
Joburg and Durban, did you go to his comedy show this past weekend? Let us know how it went in the comments below:
Catch Trevor Noah on The Daily Show Tuesdays – Fridays at 21:00 CAT on Comedy Central, DStv 122.
Connect with him on:
Source: GQ, channel24, destinyconnect, The citizen