As a young African how are you preserving Africa, which is, by far the richest continent in the world when it comes heritage, natural resources and its humane people?
25 May is Africa Day. We have come a long way as a continent and there is more work to be done to build the kind of Africa we want to live in. I am personally proud of my roots, which extend to my language and the colour of my skin. Being African is a blessing, but we have to stop the mentally that there aren’t enough resources for everyone. We are a rich continent. If we tap into our strength and build a bridge towards unity, we can become invincible. The history behind this commemoration day is as rich and meaningful, all the more reason to take pride in your African identity. Below are six things to know about Africa Day:
- The theme for Africa Month 2017 is “The Year of OR Tambo: Building a Better Africa and a Better World”.
- Seventeen countries gained independence from European colonisers between 1958 and 1963, and to mark their liberation, several states starting celebrating African Liberation Day around that time.
- The newly-liberated countries felt the need to express solidarity with one another, and in May 1963, 32 African countries met in Addis Ababa to form the Organisation of Africa Unity (OAU).
- 21 more countries joined since 1963, and South Africa became part of the organisation in 1994 at the end of apartheid.
- In addition to the political climate, the economic challenges faced by the continent in the 1990s, made the member states form the African Union.
- The African Union was officially launched in Durban, South Africa, in 2002, and 10 years later Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma became the first woman chair of the AU Commission (the AU’s administrative arm).
Additional source: enca.com
What makes you proud to be African and how will you celebrate Africa day?
Need ideas on how to celebrate this day? Why not go to the Bassline Africa Day Concert at the Johannesburg Expo Centre, on Saturday 27 May 2017? For more info visit: www.basslineafricaday.com
ceгtainly like your website bսt you need to take a look at the spelling
on several of your postѕ. A number of them are rife with speⅼling probⅼems
and I to find it very bothersome to inform the reality on tһe ᧐ther
hand I’ll surely come back again.
Thank you, Kandi.
Ꮤe are a gaggle օf volunteers and starting a
new scheme in our community. Your weƄ site provided us with helpful ijfo to work on. Yⲟu hve dⲟne a
formidabⅼe ϳߋb and our entire group shall bbe ɡrateful to you.
І’m really enjoying the design and lаyout of your weƅsite.
It’s a very eaѕy on the eyes which makes it much more enjoyable for me to cokｅ herе and visit more often. Did you hiгe out a designer to create your theme?
Superb work! http://www.online-poker-rooms4u.com/