How to set and achieve your goals in 2020
If you want to achieve anything this year and in life, setting goals is one way of achieving it. Here are five ways to set and achieve goals this year
I believe there are two types of people, those who think life happens to them and those who take charge of their lives. Yes, there are humps, bumps, unexpected twists and turns in our journey to success (and life), but there needs to be a destination one hopes to reach. Setting goals is the starting point and having a plan is like mapping your road to where you want to be in life. In fact, a 2015 study by psychologist Gail Matthews showed when people wrote down their goals, they were 33 percent more successful in achieving them than those who formulated outcomes in their heads. This shows how important to not only set goals, but to also write them down. Here are five ways to set and achieve your goals this year:
· Match your goals with your passion: To be honest, some people make goals to bend to society’s pressure of what it defines as successful; what I might find worthwhile and fulfilling might not even cross other people’s minds. So set goals you really want to achieve and that are aligned with your passion.
· Write down your goals: as mentioned above, writing down your goals gives you a higher probability of achieving them. Keep your written goals in a place where you can see them. Every week, or month remember to revisit them to see if you have ticked any of them.
· Have a cheerleader: Sometimes, it can be tempting to give up or procrastinate our goals. This is the reason it’s important to have that friend, partner or mentor to hold you accountable to your actions (or lack thereof). Have that person who will help and motivate you in your journey, and who will celebrate your milestones with you.
· Set SMART goals: your goals should be specific, measurable, attainable, relevant and time-bound. Such goals will help you track your progress, help you see what challenges you need help with and motivate you to keep going.
· Expect setbacks: Setting goals is not enough, but you need to take action to get what you want. Expect challenges and prepare for them, by having other plans in place and even a positive attitude. Nothing worth having comes easy, but no amount of challenge or setback can ever stop what you are meant to have and achieve, especially if you don’t give up.
What goals have you set for yourself this year? Share in the comments below