The festive season is once again upon us. Fun as it is, it is also rife with attempts to defraud you of your hard-earned money. Here’s how to protect your money
The December holidays are synonymous with splurging and being carefree financially. Unfortunately, this time of the year also comes with a lot of headaches as criminals are on the lookout to rob you of your hard-earned money. Here are the top 10 tips to keep your money safe this festive season:
- Carefully read the instructions on the ATM screen before entering your PIN.
- Never force your card into the ATM or use an ATM if it looks faulty or has been tampered with.
- Do not enter your PIN if the ATM screen is unfamiliar to you; rather, cancel the transaction.
- Never share or write down your ATM PIN, and never share it with anyone.
- When transacting, stand close to the ATM and never allow anyone to distract you.
- When entering your PIN, cover the ATM keypad with your hand as a precautionary measure.
- Avoid handling cash in public and always secure your wallet and handbag before leaving the ATM.
- Set a realistic daily limit on your cash withdrawals to protect yourself.
- Be wary of strangers that may call you back to the ATM to complete a transaction.
- FNB customers can always make safe and secure cardless cash withdrawals at FNB ATMs.
Words: Lee-Anne van Zyl, CEO of FNB Points of Presence.